Originally called New Street by William Penn, this street was later changed
to Callowhill to honor Penn's second wife, Hannah Callowhill.
The section of Fairmount Avenue that runs through our neighborhood was
originally called New Hickory Lane. Its name was then changed to Coates
Street after Thomas Coates who gave the first section of the street from
the Delaware River to Front Street to the city. In 1873, the street became
Parrish Street was named after Dr. Joseph Parrish (1779-1840). Dr. Parrish
was an abolitionist who worked at The Pennsylvania Hospital. He served
on the boards of Wills Eye Hospital, The College of Physicians of Philadelphia,
and the Philadelphia Medical Society.
Spring Garden Street
When Robert Morris bought the land which included Faire Mount, what is
now Spring Garden Street from Fairmount Hill to Broad Street was called
Morris Street. It was renamed Spring Garden in 1852 to match the section
that ran from Broad Street to the Delaware River. Spring Garden Street
was named after the district just north of Center City which was part
of William Penn's Northern Liberties.
Taney Street may have been named for Roger B. Taney (1777-1864), Secretary
of the Treasury during the Jackson administration and later Chief Justice
of the U.S.
25th Street was at one time Biddle Street possibly after Nicholas Biddle,
prominent Philadelphian and former president of the Bank of the U.S.
Trees and Plants
Following the tradition started by William Penn, some of the streets in
Fairmount were named after trees and plants. Aspen Street, Beechwood
Street (once Norwood), Myrtle Street, Myrtlewood Street, Olive
Street and Poplar Street are examples.