The Neighborhood of Fairmount
Philadelphia's Art Museum Area

Home | Photo Tour | History | Guest Book | Forum | Links | Contact

Saint Hedwig Church

Saint Hedwig Church Building In 1909, the Polish community here in Fairmount created the parish of Saint Hedwig. The original church and school were located at 22nd and the Parkway, where Park Towne Place now stands. The buildings here at 24th and Brown Streets were built on the site of the old Penn Cinema Theater. There is a rumor of an underground tunnel and storage room where beer from the local brewery was stored.

Like St. Nick's, St. Hedwig's school is no longer open. But the church is still very active, and the school auditorium serves as a meeting place for the neighborhood association. One of the most beautiful contributions of this parish is the daily bell recital. Every noon, the sound of church bells fills the neighborhood with peaceful, melodic song.

As we move through the "heart of Fairmount", let's walk south on 24th Street toward Aspen Street. We are headed for the Ward Memorial Park.

Alphabetical Tour Menu
The Bache-Martin School
Brewerytown
Eastern State Penitentiary
Girard College
The Joan of Arc Statue
Olivet-Covenant Church
Pennsylvania Avenue
The Philadelphia Nursing Home
The Pink Chapel
Reservoir Homes
The Smoke Stack
St. Francis Xavier Church
St. Hedwig Church
St. Nicholas Church
Von Colln Park and Playground
Ward Memorial Park
The 29th St. Bridge

Home | Photo Tour | History | Guest Book | Forum | Links | Contact

 

FairmountOnline.com

Copyright © 2005 - Fairmount Online

All Rights Reserved